Industry sees steady growth
Despite the pandemic, the podcasting industry had a good year in 2021, with lots of new content, and a record in advertising spend.
Podcasting and radio industry expert James Cridland is today’s guest on this episode of The Communicate Influence Podcast. He takes a look at some of the emerging trends already visible in the first few weeks of this new year, and looks at what may lie ahead.
He foresees a robust year, with more exciting and diverse content on the horizon. Key areas of focus in this episode:
- The impact of Amazon’s purchase of Wondery
- Amazon will make more acquisitions in 2021
- Spotify’s growth, and competitor attempts to keep pace
- Why privacy will be a growing issue in the coming year
- Podcast advertising revenue’s continued growth
- Growth of other revenue streams, such as pod merch
- The types of shows people will probably want to listen to in coming months
- QR codes have had a resurgence in that they are a simple way of letting people subscribe to a podcast show
- Why podcasts that are no longer updated aren’t a concern. Known as ‘podfade’, this can be due to the fact that it’s a limited series.
Find James Cridland on Twitter.
© Communicate Influence. Please see Communicate Influence’s Terms and Conditions for information on sharing, adapting or attributing content.