This episode is sponsored by Podthreads – Tell your story with a well-produced podcast. We can help promote your show, too!
When regular host Sheelagh Caygill was in England last year, Karen Unland and Mack Male – both seasoned podcasters – kindly produced an episode for Communicate Influence listeners.
Karen and Mack are the the co-founders of Taproot Publishing, an Edmonton-based media company whose mission is to help communities understand themselves better.
Karen was a newspaper journalist; Mack was a software developer and blogger; they combined their talents and experience in 2016 to try to solve the problem of shrinking local media.
In this episode, you’ll hear them outline the challenges facing local journalism, why a strong local media ecosystem is important, and what they’re trying to do about it.
Here are some resources to add context to their conversation:
- What Killed The Newspaper? Google Or Facebook? Or…?
- Mind the Gaps: Quantifying the Decline of News Coverage in Canada
- Here’s how some for-profit local news outlets are building subscriptions
- The media consumer’s dilemma
- Business idea earns Taproot a LION Award nomination
- Mack launched a podcast hosting service in 2006!
- Karen started the Alberta Podcast Network in 2017
- Taproot’s current podcasts: Speaking Municipally and Taproot Edmonton Presents: Igniting Innovation
How to support your local media startup and the ecosystem that nurtures it:
- Share your stuff: Put the indies on your news release list and keep them in mind for story pitches.
- Spread the word: Share what they publish and recommend them to others.
- Join or subscribe: If the outlet sells memberships or subscriptions, invest a little.
- Buy their services: If the outlet sells ads, sponsorships or other services, invest a little more.
© Communicate Influence. Please see Communicate Influence’s Terms and Conditions for information on sharing, adapting or attributing content.